1.10.06

everything's a trigger

Martin and I have rented the Lethal Weapons; 1, 2 and 3, and watched the second before Martin went to work tonight. Bust my gut laughing. Humour's good, but oh, the cheese guitar riffs and the eighties vehicles are far better. It's the funniest. A gold woody station wagon - brand new in 1989. And wow - the language and nudity must have been really out there for the eighties. There's some fairly obvious gay-bashing as well. Both of us noted how much culture has changed in the last 20 years.

So watching flicks is one way we have been spending time lately. We also watched 3/4 of The Wizard of Oz; the first time Martin's seen it. Unfortunately, the DVD crapped out and he never got to see you-know-who melt. I love that movie. It scared the junk out of me when I was a small child, and ironically, it also scared the crap out of my father as a kid. (Now, he had a much better reason to be freaked; that movie has amazing visual effects for the day. I just have a totally vivid imagination.) And for anyone who watches it in the near future, check out the Munchkin soldiers goosestepping... Definitely pre-WWII.

It sounds weird to me, even as I think it, but some people are really good to watch movies with. Martin is such person. We both are willing to watch just about anything, but thankfully both gravitate away from the romances. I have never really liked to watch movies with someone before; in fact, I was notorious for passing out during. But along came Martin, and like so many other things in my life, this did an about-face. I am free to laugh as loud and long as I want to, at anything, and he enjoys it. Sometimes he watches me instead, and that feeling heats my heart. It's so good to be loved. I had no idea.

Last weekend we checked out this particularly good flea market in Hillhurst area; I think Martin's caught the garage-sale bug. It was awesome because this flea market was more like what people do in Sweden, so I got more of an understanding of what he had described to me in the past. Now, I have some not-so-secret fascinations. Shoes, and bags. More specifially, lately, retro luggage. And I picked up the most divine little set of suitcases for $15, and we got some sweet deals on a 4-CD ABBA collection, Phantom of the Opera, and Bjork. I was a happy little girl, skipping through the flea market with my green little suitcase. I may be able to retire the red pleather one I've been using for a few years now.

There were so many awesome and bizarre people flea-marketing. I love it's earthy, sensible feel. Most people were jovial and chatty; alot of easy, no-hassle conversation. Not the painful tiring chit-chat of air-conditioned malls or high-end stores, but genuine, enjoyable interaction with old guys, people with questionable mental health, and be-ringed, ageing hippies.

When we are not doing things such as this, I am spending alot of time on my own lately. It's been good; something I needed. (We had someone billeting with us for 3 weeks, and by the end, I think I was getting a form of cabin fever. There was too little space, and too much people, if you know what I mean.) Now that I have my "space" back, I feel more sane. I have been enjoying the quiet apartment, music, books, writing, etc. The thinking time has been healthy. I recently read all of Romans. This was significant for me - my Bible reading up until now has been sporadic, just reading bits and bites. Reading a book from beginning to end was enlightening and inspiring. I am in the process of rereading it, and it's really hit me how important it is to dwell on the word of God. When it sinks in, you carry it in your heart, and these verses just pop into your head at rondom moments, and it's awesome to be thinking about God's word when you are just going about your business. This is a new and awesome experience for me. Something I have been thinking about in particular: The Holy Spirit, praying on our behalf, and praying in line with the will of God.

I am also rereading the Chronicles of Narnia. I haven't counted how many times I have read them; the books are like rags, and I've owned them as long as I can remember. Literally. For me, Lewis writes the most soul-stirring allegories. Every time I read a book I have this new image of God's omnipotence, of His grace, love, fatherhood, of the fear and reverance I should feel, of the inexplicable glory. On a side note: I haven't seen The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, nor will I. I know deep down the movie will taint and ruin the purity, innocence, and reverence of the writing.

On that note, I believe I shall go bunk down with a good book and a cup of tea.

2 comments:

  1. Hehe, Lethal Weapon. I think my favourite one was actual number 4, where Jet Li does all the Kung fu, only to get pierced through the torso by a steel bar.

    And you certainly aren't missing anything by opting out of the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. It was actually the worst Disney movie I've seen, with the possible exception of the that one where Ben Stiller is a gay lion, you know, the animation one. Except it had those funny monkeys who talked about flinging poo. And also those penguins who thought they were in the navy or something.

    I think that out of the three movie versions of LW&W the old cartoon one stands head and shoulders above the rest. It had that cool psychadelic scene with Mr. Tumnus on the flute, and was also really scary for some reason.

    As for the actual books, I think my favorite has always been the Magician's Nephew, followed by Prince Caspian, and the Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I think I enjoyed the Horse and His Boy, but it sure is different from the other ones, its alot slower, and everything about it seems different. Maybe that is Tolkien's influence (to make it really slow and descriptive.) Alot less magic too.

    Hope you are doing well and that you have a lovely week. I'm glad you got to spend some quality time with Martin. I never knew he liked movies, in fact I was under the impression he downright disliked them. Perhaps he just likes you. Sort of like how Beth likes the Simpsons, but only if I'm with her, or if I'm not and she misses me.

    Best wishes for the week ahead.

    P.S. Have you ever pressed the little wheel chair button by the word verification tab? I'm going to try it now and see what happens....

    Hmmm, if you press the wheelchair button it tells you you need a plugin. Intersting.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there lovie! Ahhh the luxury to sit down with a book and tea- truly divine! The huge mountain of my course books loom over my shoulder when I curl up with a good novel- and guilt replaces the pleasure. They are inspiring but not the escapism I crave. Maybe having a 'proper job'. when I cannot escape to magical realms I get zits.
    All the pressures are having strains on drew and my relationship, but we are learning ways to work things through.
    although my blogs are a wee bit scanty these days- I still read yours!
    Maybe we can give you a ring over christmas- my parents have a cheap 001 lines because of my sister in the states. Also i have these mags sitting to send you but have lost your address - or actually washing-machined it as it was in the pocket of my pants (hee hee it feels funny to say pockets-in-pants as pants are underwear- here!)can you email it at some point? x
    Have a good weekend dude x

    ReplyDelete