15.11.07

blogs aren't cool anymore


Someone informed me today that blogging is out. As in, no longer cool. Oh, and that we were all so busy and had so little time that everybody was just Facebooking now. Blogs are on their way out. So I'm concerned. What about my millions of readers out there? Will they stop caring about me because blogging is now so clearly old school?

Okay, so I think only like five people read this blog, and it was never cool to begin with, so there isn't much to wail about. Also, it's only for my own gratification really, so I won't stop writing however uncool it becomes. However, the recent uncoolness of blogs gets me to thinking, which inevitably gets me to writing. . .

The above photos are of a real moment, a sublime moment, sitting on horseback on a wind-whipping hill, Rocky Mountains to the west, blue-brown prairie stretching east as far as the eye can see. They are captures of a good, real day. A day of easy conversations with strangers, good-natured farm dogs, a cowboy, strong prairie sunshine, and red cheeks. A bit of anxiety at trying something new, fear when my horse spooked, belly laughter, fresh air, and the feel of freedom with nature.

And then we come back from the weekend and get back to real life: you know, work, sleep, eat, repeat. And in between we find a little email and Facebook for connection. Maybe a call or a text on our mobiles. Gets me to wondering: are we slowly dipping into an existence where the real world is overcome by the virtual world? What if all the real moments of meaningful conversation and interesting conversations with strangers are supplanted by our virtual lives?

I'm definitely not saying Facebook, mySpace etc. are not real, but a manufactured extension of our daily lives. And what if we continue down this path? How many years ago did we not even have telephones, and already people have decided they are "too busy" to use one? (I won't even begin to mourn letters and the last time I sent one.)

I am not innocent of this. And I think Facebook is a good tool if people can control themselves on it, but it makes me sorry to hear that in such a short time a thing like blogging, which although accused of giving every hack and would-be writer a venue, at least clung still to the written word. And what when Facebook is out? What will be our next reduced, skeletal venue of communication?

It would be cool to learn Morse code.

3 comments:

  1. Dani, as long as your blog is alive, I'll be constantly visiting. You know I'm a quite dedicated reader.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Hyonjoo, I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya dani- This is my favorite blog I have read in the history of blogging! Indeed you are the sole blogger that I visit, and are worthy remnant of the blog's former golden age.

    My placement at the disabled acting school prove to be my swan song. A happy memory to seal 'away with the fairies'. I do admit that facebook is what Orwell would dub 'prole-feed'. However my transition was due to its more engaging nature . I am more of a dialogue person. You are engaging with people on a more natural one-to-one, rather than adopting a the monologue tone projecting your thoughts to an invisible audience. Drew and you are writers, and thus can get away with this, as you can engage your reader. Most people's contributions are an insult to prose. I personally started to dislike my often down right lofty blog persona. Indeed, now that the whims of fashion had dispensed of the 'communication sheep' visiting blogland is a more fulfilling endeavor! The true diamonds are easier to find!


    BTW - I hope that horse is your desktop wallpaper.

    ReplyDelete