24.3.10

crocodile tears

I've tried to avoid regaling people with constant references to pregnancy and parenthood. I think it's a bit boring. And I don't want to be one of those folks who have a child and suddenly are completely absorbed into that child -- personality and all. I told Martin this week that I really, truly, honestly don't want to be a mother who talks about her child in such rapturous detail that everyone's eyes glaze over. (If I do that in the future, please, someone correct me in love!)

However, it is rather a big deal. No stomach-pun intended. "Nine months" is a short period of time, with all sorts of things that I've never experienced -- never even imagined -- and then comes baby Asparagus.

Overall, things have been pretty easy and "normal" for me. But there are things unavoidable and a whole new range of emotions is one of them. Now Martin would insist that I am a "softie" -- and sure, I have my sentimental sides -- but recently I have caught myself in tears at the most unbelievable things. So for the sake of confession and possibly a laugh, here is an incomplete list of things that can make a pregnant chick cry.
  • Para Olympic sledge hockey
  • Olympic mogul skiing
  • News footage of a deadly avalanche
  • Sound of Music
  • A reno project
  • An emergency baby delivery show
  • Super Nanny
  • Swedish "parenting" class
  • Church
  • Daytime television (including Ghost Whisperer. Gack.)
  • Thwarted plans
I guess that's embarrassing enough. In some ways it's rather freeing, too. Perhaps my tears were before trapped in some deep, repressed place and now I am just free to be a "sensitive woman". I should also write as a caveat that Martin is not miserable -- really -- he swears it hasn't "been that bad." More amusing than anything.

2 comments:

  1. Thaddeus Stewart5:03 p.m.

    Ghost Whisperer...nice. I won't lie, I laughed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good. Laughter is what is keeping us sane, healthy and in perspective. It's also the only way I am getting up off the couch without crying:-)

    ReplyDelete