25.3.07

ingratiate ::

unexpected smile and my lip splits
blood bitten back
sit still : still good : still unhappy

a tvdinner saint :
so far from the real thing
evidence of my absolution
: convincing : oh, yes
like freeze-dried steak

sit still : think hard : still taste blood

self-loathing like a shame-hammer
so easy to dislike:
such a little fool :
full of vanity : a fat little balloon

think : she is intelligent. she is quick-witted and wise.
she is funky and careless. want me around.

still the lip bleeds :
ponder: smiling with all this shame :
what nonsense has become my standard ?
rather be the dancing monkey : yes
than a naked human :

my embarrassment : how swiftly
your approval was glorified
and it’s so tragically funny :
you’re just a tvdinner saint : too

desiring to be:
the real thing

1 comment:

  1. the tv dinner saint...
    reads like a song. I think there is melody waiting to happen in that poem.
    i have a three-read rule with poetry. there is something revealing about reading a piece three times, in different ways, always out loud. I once heard a woman speak (Kathleen Norris) who said poetry is an oral tradition and should be experienced that way. She said that is why so many people have not loved the style, simply because they've been stuck analyzing it in books and never hearing it spoken. After that I started reciting poetry out loud in my living room on hot summer mornings with the curtains open and the sound of traffic to give it rhythm. I have loved it ever since.
    thanks for letting inspiration take you.

    ReplyDelete