10.3.07

retreated


I have reached the weekend - weary, but satisfied. I can barely keep my lids open, but I will attempt to post something coherent.
It's been a long couple of weeks, but things have finished off well with a retreat with my coworkers to the foothills of the Rockies for three days.

My winter blues were burned away with intense March sunshine, beautiful temperatures, and a brisk wind. My face is tight with windburn, and lips chapped, but it's a great feeling. It feels like spring, and I am greatly enjoying it however short-lived the nice weather will be.

The photo is the view from the retreat centre we stayed - a quiet, picturesque, wholesome place. It's focus is on quiet, rest, and spiritual recuperation. I enjoyed spending time thinking, trying not to talk too much, playing piano and guitar in the little chapel, and just taking some deep breaths. It was really, really good. I definitely needed it.



Tomorrow morning I have my volunteer training at the Mustard Seed, which I am looking forward to. It's a must before you can volunteer, and I have been waiting since Christmas to do so. But I think God's timing is good on this one; even if I was able to volunteer before I don't think I would have been capable of it in these last couple months.

I have been bothered by how busy life has been; when it gets to the point where I am sacrificing people and the real things I would like to be doing to the schedule-god. I hate it, and I don't want to be a person like that. I want to stop by and visit my elderly neighbors. I want to write people real letters. I want to finish the painting I said I was going to finish two weeks ago. I want to give my home a top-to-bottom spring cleaning, and learn how to bake bread.
Instead I am rushing to work and to class, eating out too often, not getting enough sleep, and not connecting with people I care about. Do I really have an excuse? Not really. Some circumstance, some choice. But I hate saying "I am so busy". Everybody says that. I think it makes us feel good. I think we say it to excuse our lack of time for people.
So I think I need to say it less. And maybe look chickens in the eye more often.

1 comment:

  1. Dani,
    I hear you exactly, regarding the busyness of life. It is a sort of silly status symbol in our culture. How we ever got to seeing "I'm too busy to do what really matters because I'm doing something 'important'" is beyond me. Probably has a lot to do with ego and the almighty distraction. Too much time undistracted demands we face ourselves, which most of us spend our purposefully avoiding. Busyness becomes our antidote. Anyone who takes an honest look, knows the fast track is no sound remedy for our sickness.
    I'm glad you got away for the weekend. Silence and quiet are such gifts.

    ReplyDelete