16.1.06

social system

It has now been nearly a full week of illness, although whatever I have seems to be clearing up. Some unknown virus attacked my throat last Monday and the resulting "viral infection" was far from pleasant. (It's not from kissing puppies, either, as this picture was taken a few years ago now.)

Even now, my mouth and throat look horribly reminiscent of those disgusting pictures they show in high school. I don't really want to see anyone, but I don't really want to be alone, either.

I have had alot of time to think about nothing in particular. Below, a list of things I have considered while bedridden, sometimes spitting in a rag when it was too excruciating to swallow.

- Was God trying to teach me something? If so, what?

- I need to be more understanding of people when they are sick. I am often very suspicious of people. This cynicism was birthed from living with a real-life hypochondriac for two years…

- Serving people who are ill is a gift that is a huge blessing to those who are sick. There is something very psychologically healing about knowing someone is taking care of you.

- I'm a big baby. Three days of pain and a liquid diet and I am crying like a babe, wishing for “someone to end this misery.” Martin is marginally amused.

- Some things done back even 30 years ago made sense. Quarantine, etc. We must think we are invincible, really, that antibiotics are the cure-all for the every day illness, that nothing will stop us and we don’t have to slow down. Never mind the growing number of superbugs, the inexplicable viruses that strike people dead even in modern hospitals. We just run out to the doctor, who prescribes painkillers and penicillin even before a diagnosis, rush home, pop pills, and expect all is well.


No comments:

Post a Comment