2.4.06

i like/i cannot lie

Today is Sunday; I am up fairly early as usual. At 11 a.m. we are invited for a Sudanese lunch with our friends Daniel, Benjamin, and their roommate. I have been looking forward to it. They are wonderful people with a hugely inspiring story. ( I wrote about it once; the SPLA post.) I hope we will have the chance for good conversation; their life experiences are unbelieveable, and I learned much from hearing Daniel share his opinion and observances on life, culture, politics and destiny.

My life this week has consisted of work, getting better from a sinus cold, watching a lot of Flames hockey (and enjoying it), and experiencing my very first cold sore. Gross! The worst part of realizing that I have a cold sore is knowing that now I am susceptable to them for the rest of my life. I hate being an adult sometimes.

I have been working on finishing our bathroom window - finally. It's been going on six months. The window is in the shower, and was totally nasty when I moved in. It's involved stripping old paint and silicone off, removing mildew, dirt, and miscellaneous crap, re-enforcing the weak window frame, sanding, heavy puttying, painting, etc... on it goes. I am finishing priming, and soon it shall be completed. I am quite proud of what I've accomplished. It's not perfect, but it was quite the job, and it's looking excellent. I really like the feeling of being able to do things like this by myself. I enjoy home renovations, alhough I can be slow and Martin really hates it when I leave my stuff out.

I read a piece yesterday about low-end prostitution in our city; a profile these poor, desperate women who will sell themselves for "$10 or a pack of cigarettes." Drug addictions eating away at them, wearing long underwear and running shoes while working... one of the girls spoke of having "the dream": husband, home, kids. What a simple, sad, dream. I have so much! How many of us have that "dream" and still strive for more? I have all I need and then some. I have been really caught lately by how the Bible talks often of the woes and dangers of wealth. We wouldn't be considered "wealthy" in the this culture, yet still it's so easy strive for something worldly and not realize it. I said to Martin yesterday how I wanted a flat-screen for our computer. What a stupid thing to say. This screen works just fine.

To think I am living someone's dream... I wonder how often we stop to think that we are literally living out someone's dream. It's humbling, it makes my mind heavy with responsibility.

Outside the church bells are ringing, spurring me to notive the time and realize that I should try to make myself look presentable, as I cannot wear a read fuzzy housecoat. From the window the sky is clear-blue, and sun shining, the traffic moving busily, and it's only 10 a.m-ish. I think I shall wear a skirt, in honour of spring.

First things first though; teasing my husband out of bed.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:23 p.m.

    Hello Danielle!
    I´m not so good in english as you know but I will try to give you comment. It´s so nice to read your blogg. I also read Jakob´s blogg every day - he writes about the children and his life as home-dad.
    You have to say to Martin he have to bur a flat-screen for your computer. He always says it isn´t necessary about everything, but sometimes we have to do things we do not need. Have a nice day. Take care of each other. Wonderful to read that you are in love even after 6 months. We are in love after 31 years, but I think it´s another sort of love.
    /Mother in law Lisbeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisbeth, thanks for taking the time to read my blogg... it makes me feel special.
    I also received a letter in the mail this week, which Martin read to me. I think Martin must learn much from your long marriage - he is a very good husband. We can learn alot of lessons from our parent's good marriages.
    Thank-you for showing me love. I am looking forward to being in Sweden - soon, I hope!
    /daughter-in-law, Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:48 p.m.

    Hello Danielle!

    It´s ha great thing this with a blogg, write more and tell us about how your husband really is... :)
    And your more than welcome to visit us here in Sweden.

    /Jakob Olofsgård

    ReplyDelete