25.4.06

the square of simplicity

Belly full, relaxed, happy. I am especially appreciative of the life I lead. Gratitude is always there, but it’s good to dwell on it. I recall a book a friend leant my some time ago, a persuasive, albeit “new age” book: The Circle of Simplicity. The premise was, ahem, simple. Trim the fat. Get rid of the unnecessary. Western lifestyle is all about entertainment, distraction. Life should be about enjoying the basics; silence, calm, family, nature, relaxation, creativity. Life should not be about rushing around endlessly, microwaved food, stress, road rage, endless hours in the bathroom primping…

Partially unconsciously, partially deliberately, we’ve lead a comparatively simple way of life, with a easy amount of “social” activities, uncluttered and entirely pleasing. So many people have so much going on; I lifted an eyebrow when some of my coworkers started talking about their schedules. I’m surprised they are still sane. I’d be stark raving mad if I couldn’t take a break from people. It’s such a sweet relief to come in the door to a calm apartment, to someone who knows you in and out, who loves you genuinely and appreciates you fully.

The Carolina-Montreal series is on right now; we’ve decided to allow ourselves TV only until the playoffs are over and then it goes back into storage. It’s completely unnecessary, especially with the ushering in of warmer weather. Martin and I have no trouble occupying each other, and not just in the most obvious way. We vintage shop, and try to find cheap places to eat. He helps me pick my hockey pool and flexes his sexy belly for me. We work in the yard and clean up the neglected property. We work around both of our loner streaks. We play Settlers fiercely, competitively, and although I do not cheat I could be described as ’devious’. Martin is very displeased when he loses, or when I gloat. I’m no better when I lose. When I was freshly engaged, someone who went to Bible school with Martin warned me against playing games with him. I find that very amusing, as now he is my favourite challenge. Ah, me, who knew Bible school boys could be so deliciously bad.

I am greatly anticipating this summer; hopefully a chance to see old friends in Portland, and Drew and Beth in August. And of course, returning with my new husband to Sweden and revisiting the scene of some of my finest adult memories. This time I need to get some better photos.

1 comment:

  1. We're really excited to see you guys too! We will have to all get together and play some settlers (Beth is pretty good, she comes from a settlers family.)

    Glad to hear you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete